Lawar Gedang is a traditional mix containing fine chopped meat (minced chicken), 80 green papaya salad, grated coconut, spices, and enhanced with kaffir lime, local basil and chili. It is the Balinese equivalent of a coleslaw, the perfect side-dish to every Balinese food you can think of. The flavors were good and somewhat different tasty. The spiced sausages tasted gentle and comforting while the papaya salad tasted well rounded without any sourness from the papaya.
You will enjoy how this Balinese dishes featured lots of veggies, but need to be noted that this papaya salad should be served immediately after preparation as it cannot be kept long.
Check out all the ingredients, follow the step by step instructions on our recipe below, and have an authentic native Balinese experiences.
- 400g green papaya
- 120g grated coconut
- 2 tbsp yellow fried shallots
- 2 tbsp yellow fried garlic
- 2 large red chillies
- 2 tbsp bird’s eye chillies
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tbsp fried shallots
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 15g spice paste for seafood
- 125ml chicken or fish stock
- 125ml coconut cream
- Pinch salt
- 2-3 white peppercorns
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Prepare dressing. Heat oil in heavy saucepan, add spice paste and sauté until fragrant. Sauté meat until changes colour.
- Stir in stock and coconut cream. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lime juice. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a deep bowl, combine all other ingredients except fried shallots and mix well with dressing. Garnish with fried shallots
Green Papaya Salad / Lawar Gedang – Balinese Recipes at Nia Balinese Cooking Class Seminyak,
Nia Balinese Cooking Class, Get 50% Off. IDR
700 K – Only 400K, Call: 087761556688.
Free Pick Up only