Pecelan is steamed vegetables which served as a salad with a spicy peanut sauce dressing. The peanut sauce is quite unique and have very distinctive smell from the use of lesser galangal, or kencur. The intensity of the nutty taste of kencur is so overwhelming. This salad dish is usually served with some crackers and shallots as a main course. It is one of the most popular Indonesian Salad which can be found everywhere in the country.
The vegetable salad in peanut dressing recipe has so many variations that you may feel free to omit those that you either don’t have or prefer not to use. As for the vegetables, we use long bean, bean sprout, spinach, and cabbage. You can also add another vegetables, it is up to you what you want to have, but those are the more common vegetables used in Pecelan. Check it out!
- 100g long bean cut, blanched
- 100g bean sprout, blanched
- 100g spinach, blanched
- 100g cabbage (small) thinly sliced, blanched
- 2 tbsp fried shallots
- 2 tbsp fried peanuts crushed
- 1 pinch salt
Ingredients Peanut Sauce:
- 250g peanuts with skin on, deep fried lightly brown
- 3 garlic gloves peeled and sliced
- 1-3 bird’s eye chilies finely sliced
- 10g kencur finely sliced
- 2 tbsp sweet soya sauce (kecap manis)
- 20g palm sugar chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- For the peanut sauce combine all ingredients, except water in stone mortar or food processor and grind very finely.
- Add gradually the water until desired consistency and season to taste.
- Combine all vegetables with peanut sauce and blend well
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Garnish with deep fried shallots and peanuts. Sprinkle with shallots and serve with deep fried crakers.